Understanding the Adult Learner and Other PCO Constituencies in Professional, Continuing, and Online Education - June 2023
Includes a Live Web Event on 06/26/2023 at 10:45 AM (EDT)
- Non-member - $599
- Member - $459
Who are the constituents and stakeholders that compose the ecosystem of Professional, Continuing, and Online Education? What are the unique characteristics and educational needs of adult learners? How do the characteristics of the student market determine how programs are designed and delivered?
This course examines prospective student markets and how to address their educational needs. This course also examines the roles of employers, communities, and government agencies in creating educational opportunities.
- Professional, Continuing, and Online Education (PCO) audiences
- Characteristics, motivations, and learning barriers of adult learners
- Trends in adult learner enrollment
- Program planning for PCO audiences
- Online learners and alternative credentials
- Identify different potential audiences for PCO programs.
- Describe trends in adult student enrollments and sources of data.
- Explain the unique characteristics and learning needs of adult learners, including motivation and barriers.
- Explain ways to learn more about and recruit prospective PCO audiences.
- Describe program features and services needed to accommodate adult learners.
- Demonstrate an understanding of online learners.
- Explain and give examples of alternative credentials for adults and other groups that offer educational opportunities for adults
Who should take this course?
This course is designed for professionals at various levels, particularly those who have some experience in PCO education administration who seek to learn more about working with adult and online audiences.
Format and Schedule
This is a four week course consisting of about five hours of weekly course work made up of readings, asynchronous activities, and a weekly one hour live class meeting via Zoom on the dates below:
- Monday June 26th, 3:30-4:30 ET: Welcome and Course Overview
- Monday July 3, 3:30-4:30 ET: Week 1
- Monday July 10, 3:30-4:30 ET: Week 2
- Monday July 17, 3:30-4:30 ET: Week 3
- Monday July 24, 3:30-4:30 ET: Week 4 and Course Wrap-Up
Dean of College of Professional and Continuing Studies
Andy Atzert is the Dean of Adelphi University’s College of Professional and Continuing Studies, located in Garden City, NY. Prior to joining Adelphi in July 2019, he held positions at Columbia University’s School of Professional studies, including Associate Dean of Administrative Affairs in charge of Finance, HR, IT & Analytics, and Senior Associate Dean of External Affairs. His career includes leadership positions at the Wharton School of Business, where he created executive education programs for Global 1000 companies; at the New School in New York, where he oversaw continuing education and online programs; and at Arizona State University, where he was the Executive Director of the Center for Executive and Professional Development at the W.P. Carey School of Business and the administrative director for the school’s online MBA programs and online certificates. Andy holds a B.A. in English from Rutgers University, an MS.Ed in TESOL from the University of Pennsylvania, and an Ed.D in Organizational Leadership Studies from Northeastern University.
See what past participants have to say about this course:
"It was great. Every PCO employee should jump on this one."
"The course content provided relevant information that is applicable and relatable in the current PCO environment. I found the readings and articles especially helpful in understanding potential avenues that my own PCO unit can explore to navigate these unknown times."
"Excellent content, well-paced and engaging 'live' meetings, meaningful discussion topics, applicable culminating assignment."
"Barbara was great. She engaged with the different stages of colleagues at the various career stages and within different departments"